A Brief History of the Willmar Public Library
The Willmar Public Library was established in 1904 and housed in a facility funded by Andrew Carnegie.
In 1958 it merged with the Kandiyohi County Library to better serve its patrons. Since the old building was too small to accommodate the growing library, a new facility was erected for the County / City Library in 1966.
To further facilitate service, the Kandiyohi County / Willmar Public Library joined with libraries in neighboring counties to form the Crow River Regional Library in 1972, and later the Pioneerland Library System in 1983.
The Willmar Public Library again outgrew its space by the early 1990s. In November 1996, the citizens of Willmar voted to use a local sales tax to fund a renovation of and addition to the library building. The project was completed in September 1999, giving the community a larger, up-to-date facility.
Return to About the Library